The Beautiful Narrative of The First Time She Drowned

By Florence Lin
Recently, I have been reading The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter. This young adult fiction was strongly recommended to me by Benjamin Chang and has received excellent reviews online as well. As I read through the novel, I realize more and more why it is so well-liked: simply put, it is beautifully written. Told in the first person, The First Time She Drowned is a story about an 18-year-old girl, Cassie O'Malley. Cassie grew up idolizing and craving attention from her mother but being neglected by her. Her entire family is under the control of her mother, and aim only to please her. At age 15, under the instruction of Cassie’s mother, Cassie is placed into a mental institution. The novel mainly begins near the end of her stay at the institution and follows Cassie through her journey in the outside world, but frequently flashes back to Cassie’s past. By joining Cassie as she navigates and reflects on her life, readers empathize with her and find themselves lost in the narrative.
One of the greatest aspects of the novel is the flashbacks. Throughout the book, Cassie’s thought process may seem confusing to readers, such as why she feels so drawn to her mother yet distrusts and guards herself around her. Well-timed with great descriptions of her thinking at the time, these flashbacks allow the reader to understand more about why Cassie thinks the way she does. One of the most heartbreaking flashbacks happens when Cassie is lying in her room alone at the end of the day. She gets lost in her thoughts and relives a time when she felt unloved in first grade. She was having trouble sleeping and called out to her mom, who she could hear laughing and talking with her brother, Matthew, but was ignored. She then thought, “If I were a boy like Matthew, my mother would love me. She would stay and laugh with me in my room. [...] I went to my closet [...t]here I saw all the pretty girly dresses I loved so much hanging silently in a row like bodies. In an instant of decision, I tore them from their hangers and stuffed them in a ball. [...] I took a deep breath and went to my dolls, [...t]hey had kept me good company over the years, [...] I had to force myself to hate them. Boys didn’t like dolls, and although I knew I couldn’t be a boy, I could refuse my girlhood in my heart. In my heart I could be a boy like Matthew. So I gathered them up and dumped them with the suitcases” (Kletter 113). The flashback shows the reader that even as a first-grader, Cassie is so driven to please her mother that she gives up things she loves most, in hopes of being loved. 
These flashbacks do a great job of explaining the way Cassie feels about her mother, and the way her current thought process is written complements her past experiences and thoughts. These two aspects show how Cassie is plagued with this toxic mindset all her life. By showing how her mother intrudes into her daily thoughts and causes her anxiety, the author is able to portray the lasting impact of Cassie’s childhood. When she is alone on the beach with a boy she likes, she says “‘My mother used to say you could hear the ocean in a shell, but I could never hear it. I always thought there was something wrong with me that I couldn’t’ [...] [I wonder] why I brought my mother into this moment and ruined things” (161). Even when her mother is not physically present, she is present in Cassie’s consciousness and everyday life, which is brilliantly illustrated with subtle moments like such.
The book not only shows how Cassie’s mother affects Cassie’s attitude towards her but also towards others. The constant neglect Cassie faced as a child affects her daily and is shown through her thought process. A time when this happens is when Cassie’s college roommate, Zoey, apologizes to her. Cassie was waiting for Zoey to finish a meeting in the psychology building on campus but was asked to wait near the counseling center. This triggers her since she does not want to be viewed as a patient nor mentally unstable, and especially does not want anyone to know she has been in a mental institution. Cassie decides to stop waiting, and leaves, abandoning her friend. Back at the dorm, when Zoey expresses that this upset her, Cassie is defensive and blames Zoey for taking too long. Right after her retort, Cassie begins to think of moving out and ending her friendship with Zoey. When Zoey says she is sorry, Cassie thinks,  “The words are so foreign and shocking that my brain is unable to process them right away. I will myself to look at her, but I can’t quite trust it or get a handle on what I’m supposed to do here. I’ve never heard anyone say ‘I’m sorry,’ or at least not in a real way, not in the heat of a fight. [...I]t’s so incomprehensible that someone would leave themselves open like that. I want to turn around, confess that I’m the one who should be sorry, but I can’t make the words come out, can’t let myself be that vulnerable” (155-156). By not having healthy family relationships as a child, Cassie now has trouble being emotionally vulnerable and apologizing. She has been used to bottling everything up and being blamed for everything.
The First Time She Drowned discusses serious topics and has the difficult task of portraying the thought process of an emotionally damaged young adult. Though heartbreaking, this book is wonderfully written. Its narrative hooks the reader in and keeps the reader engaged. I would recommend this book to any teen or adult.

Comments

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post. I like the way you analyzed her story and trauma without spoiling anything about the story. I thought your use of quotations really strengthened the post and helped me get a feel for the style of the book. I will definitely look into reading this! Wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a well written blog post that thoroughly explained the books plot without giving away details. I think that you did a good job using quotes from the book to further explain the points that you were trying to make. For example when you talked about the scene on the beach with a boy and how she thought back to her mother was very powerful and you explained it beautifully. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The First Time She Drowned seems like a wonderful, compelling book. Your analysis of a few quotes gave me a glimpse into the author's writing style and were beautifully explained. The novel is focused on an important but delicate topic, and it sounds like Kerry Kletter did a wonderful job. I'll have to read this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I enjoy when you talk about Cassie and how her attitude is expressed throughout the book. One moment you explain well is when you talk about how Cassie blames her friend Zoey for things because she was neglected as a child. I believe this is an important issue that our society needs to deal with as many people cannot fully control their attitude towards others because they were abused at a young age. Overall, this post helped me get a good feel for how the book is written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems less like you are writing a blog post and more like you are writing an essay that takes much longer. I can tell that you spent a lot of time writing this post and it pays off. Your post sticks to a single topic very well and you never went off topic. Your use of quotes in every paragraph truly helps me better understand the story. Your points in each paragraph do well to support your take on the story that is the beautiful writing of the story. And, your paragraphs flow well into each other, with each paragraph containing content that helped me understand later paragraphs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very intriguing blog post. You did a great job giving enough details of the book without spoiling it. This book seems like an important book because it brings up themes of childhood trauma and how it can impact children as they develop into young adults. It also seems as though the book doesn't take these themes lightly which is good considering that mental health is a heavy topic. You did a great job on this blog post and I will have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get to Know the Narrator of The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

Getting to Know People Living in Paper Towns

The Reality of Making Poor Choices While Climbing Everest