Getting to Know People Living in Paper Towns


            I recently finished reading Paper Towns, a realistic fiction book by John Green. Paper Towns takes place in modern day Florida, where the main character Quentin and his neighbor Margo go out on a school night to pull pranks on their enemies. When Quentin goes to school the next day, nobody knows where Margo went. Throughout the rest of the book Quentin tries to find Margo by following clues she left behind.
Image result for paper towns cover"            One aspect of Paper Towns that I think makes the book special is the way Green expresses the characters. They all have specific traits and personalities that make them unique. For example when Margo says, “The rules of capitalization are so unfair to words in the middle of a sentence.” I think that simple quotes like this can give the reader an idea of Margo's personality. Paper Towns always shows how the characters react to things and after a while you get to know them in a way unlike other books. Another quote that I think is fascinating is when Margo states, “Talking to a drunk person was like talking to an extremely happy, severely brain-damaged three-year-old.” The way John Green writes about Margo always makes me think about how other people perceive the way she phrases things is so unique.
            Paper Towns also brings humor into the characters, for example when Quentin asks his friend Radar why he has not invited his girlfriend to his house he yells, “IT IS NOT MY FAULT THAT MY PARENTS OWN THE WORLD’S LARGEST COLLECTION OF BLACK SANTAS.” Quentin knows that Radar’s parents own lots of black santas and he is messing with him, which to me in the book shows their relationship well and gives me a good idea of how they communicate.
            I would recommend Paper Towns to almost everybody because it has many things that anybody could relate to. The two parts of the book that stood out to me the most were the characters because they all have unique characteristics that are different from many other books. The second part of Paper Towns that stood out to me is the plot of the book and especially the night where they go around doing pranks on their enemies.

Comments

  1. I liked how you quoted Margo from the book because it was a good way of showing her personality and how it added to the book. I have read this book before and I thought the parts of it you chose to focus on made the blog enjoyable. I think you did a good job of giving blog readers a taste of the characters in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I think that adding quotations from the book really strengthened the blog and showed the character of the people in the novel. The post is intriguing and the makes the readers want to go read the book themselves. I know that you shouldn't make your whole post summary, but I might suggest that you relate some of the things you say about the characters to the plot. This may give a bit more context. Overall really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing that I really liked about your blog post is how you pulled quotes from the books to strengthen the points you were making and it also made the blog post more enjoyable overall. I also liked how you talked about the different aspects of the book that readers can relate to, such as humor. I would add a little bit more of plot though, because I think that it would make your blog post even more interesting to know a little more about what happens in the book. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post shows how interestingly different characters can liven up a book about a gloomy event. In the first paragraph, you made this book seem like it would be about a sad kid who has lost their friend; but in the later paragraphs, it seems like it may mainly be about funny characters who additionally are trying to find a missing person. I find that mixed genre books (like humor mixed with a detective novel) are good for keeping a reader interested. This blog post made some good points!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this book at the library because I remembered that another student had recommended this book to me. The fresh review is just begging me to read Paper Towns. I liked how you included the humorous quote as a reference to the lightheartedness of the book. Nice, concise blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been interested in reading this book, but I have never gotten around to actually reading it. This blog post does a good job capturing the main characters personalities which helped me to understand the book more. I appreciate your use of quotes, they really emphasize your description of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a good job explaining the personalities of various characters in the novel using quotations, and I like how you included several quotes that were throughout the novel in order to show the humorous side of the book. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get to Know the Narrator of The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Reality of Making Poor Choices While Climbing Everest