Experiencing The Magical World of Falling Kingdoms

Recently, I finished reading Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, and I really enjoyed the book. It was recommended to me by another student, Benjamin Chang, and I am glad that I decided to read it. One of the many aspects of this novel I enjoyed was its altering point of view. The story is told in the third person, however every chapter, it switches perspectives between the main characters of the story. Many novels switch perspectives as well, but I think Falling Kingdoms uses this type of narration especially well. The novel has multiple main characters, and all of their stories intertwine. By telling the plot from all of their perspectives, the reader is able to put together missing pieces, and learn about complications in the plot from different sides of the story.

An example of when the perspective change was successful was when one of the main characters, Cleo, the princess of a fantastical country, is on a difficult search in another magical country. She believes no one knows her exact whereabouts, and consequently believes she is not in any danger. However, another one of the main characters, Jonas, is on a search for her and plans to hold her for ransom. Jonas holds a strong hatred towards Cleo, and “His obsessive hate towards her was palpable, bitter, and growing by the day. His blood boiled. [...] He could have killed Cleo” (Rhodes 246). As a reader, one knows that Cleo is in great danger, and also knows where Jonas can find her. Knowing information from both sides of this scenario gives the story more suspense, which adds to the novel. As a long-awaited war between Cleo, Jonas, and other characters’ countries brews, the reader is able to know what is happening from each side.

Another aspect of Falling Kingdoms I liked was its complex backstories for each of the main characters. Having a good backstory gives the reader a sense of connection to the character, and also helps them understand the character’s choices. A character in Falling Kingdoms who I thought had a good backstory was Magnus, a seemingly lethal and cold-hearted prince. However, the reader learns that Magnus was abused by his father as a child, and despises him. Without this backstory, one might view him as a pure villain, but because readers are aware of his past, they are able to understand that Magnus is not cold-hearted by nature, and has potential. I think including the backstories of the characters and showing the different environments they live in further explains the motivations behind the actions taken by characters. 


Overall, I thought this novel was an excellent read. It had an interesting setting, and I enjoyed living in the fantastical world of Falling Kingdoms through the eyes of various characters in the book. I liked seeing many points of views and knowing the pasts of the characters enhanced the story as well. The writing was well done, and made the story engaging. I plan to find time to read the series, and I think others should consider doing so as well.

- Florence Lin

Comments

  1. I thought that you did a great job explaining the experience of reading the book. I liked how you included a quote to show the character and how they relate to the story. I also thought it was good how you explained the different point of views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Falling Kingdoms sounds really interesting! You did a great job explaining why you liked the book and gave examples to back up your points. The paragraphs about how the author writes through different perspectives and gives the backstories of the characters were well written, as was the rest of your article. I'll have to read the book sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way this blog describes the book is extremely interesting. I liked how you explained the perspective change that happens throughout the book, which I find immensely insightful. I think that you did an excellent job showing the extensive backstories about all the characters, which I agree is an important part to any good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you explained the changing perspectives was clear and easy to understand. It liked how you included a quote to add support to the points that you were making about the specific . characters in the book. Overall, good blog and I would be interested to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you described the character's switching perspectives was intriguing! I clearly understand that the author uses this technique to illustrate the 'bigger picture' without giving away too much information within the begining of the book. However, I believe that if you included a small summary of the book in the first paragraph of your blog, I would have a better understanding of what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get to Know the Narrator of The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

Getting to Know People Living in Paper Towns

The Reality of Making Poor Choices While Climbing Everest